Today, there are numerous techniques you can use to get a vibrant and youthful appearance. Aside from a healthy diet and regular exercise, one popular method you can do is a facial massage. Basically, gently stroking or rubbing your skin can result in numerous perks, especially when done properly. So, what are the benefits of a facial massage and how do you properly give yourself one?
WHAT IS A FACIAL MASSAGE?
Most of you are familiar with the various benefits of getting a full-body massage. But, did you know that massaging your face can also offer numerous benefits? For one, gently and slowly rubbing your skin can help increase the flow of oxygenated blood, awakening and allowing your skin to fully absorb your beauty products. But, that’s not all. The other benefits of a facial massage are:
- Relaxes your tensed facial muscles
- Tones your facial muscles
- Relieves facial pain and tension headaches
- Increases your collagen production, resulting in a radiant and youthful skin
- Reduces bloating and puffiness of your face
- Relieves eye stain
- Lymphatic drainage, leading to detoxification of toxic compounds
- May ease congestion if you have a runny nose or an allergy
- Relaxes your mind
HOW TO DO A FACIAL MASSAGE
To reap all the benefits of a facial massage, you can seek the help of a professional massage therapist at your favorite spa or use mechanical devices that can stimulate your skin. Another great option is to use your fingers. Don’t worry, the steps are simple!
1. PREP YOUR SKIN
Before doing a facial massage, you need to wash your hands with an anti-bacterial soap and cleanse your face. You can also exfoliate your skin. But, remember you only need to do the exfoliation process twice or trice a week to avoid damaging your skin. To open your pores, you can also steam your face.
2. MASSAGING YOUR FACE
- Place a dime-sized oil or serum on your palm. Rub your palms together until the oily product becomes warm.
- Using your fingers, gently stroke your forehead in an upward motion, starting at the middle of your brows moving out. Once you reach your temple, massaging that area in a circular motion can provide relaxation and ease your headache.
- Afterward, lightly massage the middle area of your face, beginning from the center moving out towards your cheeks and ear. You can use a circular motion when rubbing your cheeks.
- The next step is to repeat the circular or upward stroke on your jawline, starting from your chin moving out.
- Using vertical strokes, gently massage your neck from the collarbone going to your throat.
TIPS FOR AN EFFECTIVE FACIAL MASSAGE AT HOME
1. CHOOSE THE RIGHT PRODUCT
To ensure that you’re getting all the benefits of a facial massage, you need to use the right skincare product. When doing a facial massage, opt for a product that allows you to easily glide your fingers, like an oil or a serum. The product should also go well with your skin type. Lastly, if your goal is to remove stubborn makeup or dirt, you can use a facial cleansing oil for massaging your face.
2. BE CAREFUL ON YOUR EYE AREA
Always remember that the area around the eye can’t handle the pressure used when you massage your face. To get rid of puffy eyes, you can gently tap the skin under your eyes with your ring fingers. Furthermore, an eye cream is the best product you can use for this area.
3. INCLUDE FACIAL MASSAGE IN YOUR DAILY ROUTINE
As mentioned, a facial massage can help your skin absorb your skincare products. Thus, gently massaging your face while applying a moisturizer can greatly benefit your skin. This process doesn’t have to last long. Two minutes is enough to relax and pamper your facial muscles.
Overall, you can get the numerous benefits of a facial massage by including it in your skincare regimen. For best result, you can do it daily- every morning and evening. Still, you need to set aside some time once or twice per week where you can do a facial massage for a longer period.