As women, a lot of us spend ages trying to look good. Outfits, makeup, grooming… they’re all par for the course. After all, our clothing sends messages and sets the precedent for how we’re perceived and treated. And which woman doesn’t want to look refined and elegant? We try to take inspiration from icons like Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Coco Chanel and many more in the hopes of achieving even one percent of their effortless elegance.
Even though we may not have high fashion houses like Givenchy designing our clothes, there’s still no reason why we shouldn’t look just as elegant. Here are a few hacks to do just that:
- HAT: There’s no doubt that hats elevate the elegance of a woman by giving her an air of vintage sophistication and regency. Since many people don’t wear hats today, you’ll stand out. And it works if you’re having a bad hair day, as well!
- WATCH: I personally love watches. Nothing feels classier than a watch that matches your outfit. It adds that sleekness and class to a lady, giving you that professional look. Watches are so versatile that they can be worn anywhere and everywhere, regardless of the occasion. And if you’re not into accessories, just put on a watch and you’re good to go!
- POINTY SHOES: It’s a well known fact that shoes complete a look. Pointy ones do more than that. They give a flair to your look that tells people that you’re an elegant women of high caliber. Pointy heels can be used to make your legs look slimmer and longer, giving you a modelesque figure. Taller women should choose pointy flats. This’ll make their legs appear shapely while diverting attention from their undesirable areas.
- MATERIAL: While buying our clothes and styling them, we often ignore the material and only look at the price tag and color. However material plays such a big role, that even if nothing else is elegant, the material will definitely make you look so. Some elegant materials to go for are: Cashmere (cold weather), silk, velvet, satin, lace and mesh.
- SCARVES/STOLES: Since I own nine scarves of my own, this point vindicated my shopping decisions. Seriously! Just look at those models on the runway or celebrities when they’re out and about. A lot of them wear scarves. Why wouldn’t they? It transforms their look from basic to fashionably classic by adding that feminine mystique to them. Plain clothes can be paired with a printed scarf and vice-versa. You can wear a light stole in the summer and a warmer scarf during the colder months. What’s not to love?
- PEARLS: Pearls are a commonly mentioned but slightly impractical accessory. They’re very elegant of course (Think Audrey Hepburn or Jackie Kennedy). However, real pearls are quite expensive and not everyone can afford them. It may also make the person appear old fashioned. And a little too serious, which isn’t something many women would opt for. But if you like the timeless elegance and would prefer a more tailored look, then go for it by all means.
- EXTRA DETAILS: Even though there are a few hacks to make your outfits more elegant, there’s a lot more to elegance than meets the eye. This includes styling the silhouette (body type), fit and tailoring as well as grooming. And let’s not forget about our social graces and friendly charm.
Just like style, fit and accessories, colors are important. Actually, I would argue that colors have the potential to make or break the elegance of an outfit. Elegant colors are a combination of classy and timeless:
- CAMEL COLOR
- ROSE GOLD
- PALE PINK/BLUE
- LIGHT RED
Pastel and monochrome outfits are staples for elegant ladies. But if you like experimenting with colors and prints, then feel free to do so. Your unique taste in fashion forms the core of your personal elegance. You can also change up your outfits depending on the occasion and the weather.
With a little bit of thought and attention to detail, we, too, can look as refined and put together as our favorite classic ladies. Though it may feel unfamiliar and confusing at first, elegance will come naturally to you. Especially if you use these tips to elevate the elegance level of your outfits. So go on, and make heads turn.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: