How To Clean Your Carpet With A Steam Mop
One of the most excellent cleaning tools you can own is a steam mop. It can get rid of common stains and tough dirt that have settled on hard surfaces like tiles and hardwood that your vacuum can’t handle.
Steam mops are affordable, lightweight, and simple to maneuver across your home. Plus, it’s an eco-friendly option since it will not require you to use harmful chemicals.
But like most homeowners, you’re probably wondering whether it’s okay to use a steam mop on your carpets. Steam cleaning can actually be beneficial to your carpet. So keep on reading to find out how you can clean your carpet with a steam mop and learn the advantages of using one.
Why Should I Use A Steam Mop To Clean My Carpet?
Carpets typically are comprised of many individual fibers. Because of this, they tend to attract all sorts of dirt, including dust, mud, and pet hair. Cleaning hard surfaces is easy. A little spray here and a little wipe there is all you need.
However, cleaning a carpet is an entirely different story. That’s why most people simply don’t bother taking the time to wash their carpet. Vacuuming can take care of the problem temporarily. But sooner or later, your carpet will start to develop a nasty smell.
Hence, steam cleaning your carpet often is a good idea. Aside from ensuring that it will look new again, it will also keep it fresh and eliminate the bad odor.
Furthermore, steam eradicates bacteria and dust mites. This is probably one of the top reasons to steam clean, especially if there are people in your home suffering from dust allergy.
Vacuuming can help keep dust mites at bay but it will not totally eliminate them. Likewise, it will not be able to kill minuscule particles like bacteria and viruses thriving on your carpet. Using a steam mop is the best way to get rid of these entirely from your carpet.
Aside from these, steam cleaning presents the following benefits:
- Disinfects your carpet.
- It will not leave water behind, preventing mold growth.
- You can remove stains without the need to use bleach or carpet stain cleaners which can discolor your beautiful carpet.
- Using a steam mop can prolong the lifespan of your carpet because of its gentle cleaning process.
- Steam cleaning is safe for your kids and pets since you won’t be using harsh chemicals.
Step-by-Step Guide On How To Steam Clean Your Carpet
1. Remove your furniture and clear the area of any obstructions
Before you begin, remove any obstructions in the area where you’ll clean. Make sure there are no pieces of furniture in your way. Doing so will make it easier for you to steam clean your carpet. Also, you will be able to tackle stains and filth much quicker while protecting your furniture and decors from the steam.
2. Vacuum first
Another step you need to do before steam cleaning your carpet is to vacuum it first with a regular vacuum. This will get rid of any dirt, crumbs, and dust on its top layer, and allow your steam mop to concentrate on getting rid of deeper grime and stains. Keep in mind that even the top-notch models will work best if a carpet is freshly vacuumed.
3. Fill your steam mop with water
Fill your steam mop’s reservoir with hot water. You can also use a little cleaning solution if you prefer. But make sure to only use those recommended for your cleaner and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. But in most cases, water will be able to do the job. Additionally, adding too much detergent may ruin not just your machine but your carpet as well.
4. Start at the farthest section
Assess your room and figure out how you can clean the area more efficiently. When steam cleaning carpets, you want to do it with clean, straight lines to ensure all spots are covered. Start at the farthest corner, away from the entrance of the next room or doorway. This will make it easier for you to move your cleaner in the next room you’ll clean.
5. Allow your carpet to fully dry naturally
One of the best things about steam mops with carpet attachment is that you’re applying little water on the surface. That means that your carpet may likely be almost dry when you’re done with the cleaning process.
Nevertheless, moisture will still be present deep within your carpet. Hence, it’s best to let it air dry naturally for at least 24 hours before placing back your furniture and decors. Keep it well-ventilated by opening your windows and opening all internal doors.
But if you really have to step on it for some reason, wear socks on your feet or protective plastic bags to avoid soiling your carpet. Trailing dirt all over a somewhat damp carpet can be quite tricky to clean up. And make sure to check out this short how-to video for additional information on how you can refresh your carpet using a steam mop.
Features To Consider When Looking For The Best Steam Cleaner
Before making any purchase, it’s important to do your research first. This Melba Espinal – purchase recommendations of the best steam cleaners is a good place to start.
Moreover, it’s important that you have an idea of the features you want so that you’ll end up with the right machine suitable for your needs and budget.
With that in mind, here are some key features to look for in a steam mop:
- Water reservoir. Look for a unit with a water tank that you can refill without the need to turn it off and wait for it to cool down first.
- Heat-up time. Steam mops are not created equal. Some will take several minutes to heat up, while others can take 20 seconds or even less.
- Power cable. The cord of the cleaner should be long enough for you to have a good reach from your power outlet.
- Cleaning pads. Usually, steam mops come with a microfibre pad that traps and carries the dirt away. Some models come with several cleaning pads, which is very convenient when you’re doing plenty of cleaning or if the other is dirty and you want to steam clean.
- Pad rest. You may want this accessory so that you can sit your steam mop during a cleaning session and you have to take a quick break. Your unit can remain in one area and not damage the surface.
- Carpet glider. This is a handy attachment that you can use for mopping your carpet. It can refresh your carpet and eliminate light soiling.
- Steam-ready indicator. It’s another handy feature that will tell you when the steam generator of your machine has heated up. So no more guessing game when it’s ready for the job.