According to the latest statistics of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or ASPS, the number of cosmetic procedures has risen over the past years. The number has risen to nearly a quarter-million in 2018 as compared to the previous year, with more than 17.7 million minimally-invasive and surgical cosmetic procedures. What’s more, the study revealed that new body-shaping trends include liposuction and breast augmentations.
The above data only shows the rising popularity of plastic surgery procedures. So why is cosmetic surgery becoming a trend?
In this post, you’ll learn why cosmetic surgery has been rising in popularity across the years.
Increased Trust in Science and Technology
Today, people are more confident to undergo cosmetic procedures because these surgeries are now less invasive with faster recovery. The faster recovery means that patients can resume normal activities faster than in the past because cosmetic procedures involve less blood loss, less stitching, and less use of blades.
Also, there are many trusted cosmetic surgeons from facilities like The Victorian Cosmetic Institute who are qualified, experienced, and dependable. Moreover, patients can now find more assurance with online sources that show before and after photos, demo videos, client testimonials, and other evidence of cosmetic surgery services.
Here are the common cosmetic surgery procedures:
- Breast Augmentation: It’s a popular method of changing the breasts’ size and shape for a fuller and gorgeous look.
- Dermabrasion: Achieve smoother-looking and younger-looking skin with dermabrasion. It involves using a specialized tool that sands down the skin’s top layer. It’s used for treating crow’s feet, age spots, acne scars, wrinkles, and sun-damaged skin.
- Facelift: It involves repairing drooping, loose, sagging, or wrinkled facial skin. The facial tissues are lifted, and the excess skin is removed.
- Hair Transplantation: This cosmetic procedure helps patients who are experiencing alopecia or baldness.
- Lip Augmentation: For those who want to have fuller lips, dermal fillers are injected to increase the volume, structure, and shape of the lip.
- Liposuction: It involves the shaping of the body by suctioning or removing localized fat deposits.
- Tummy Tuck: This procedure helps shape the abdomen by removing excess fat and restoring weakened muscles.
Factors Driving People to Undergo Plastic Surgery
There are many good reasons why many people consider cosmetic surgery. The motivating factors may include internal and external factors that affect a person’s perception of himself or herself and how other people perceive beauty.
In a research study conducted in the United Kingdom, 204 participants answered a questionnaire that assessed an individual’s attitude toward cosmetic surgery. The motivating factors used in the survey include questions about life satisfaction, self-esteem, religiosity, self-rated attractiveness, and media consumption.
Here are the findings of the said study:
- Women who expressed low self-esteem and life satisfaction were more likely to go through cosmetic surgery.
- People view plastic surgery as a way to boost one’s confidence and perception of self-attractiveness. Plastic surgery also uplifts morale and promotes life contentment, totally changing the lives of people for the better.
- Women who are heavy television watchers tend to consider plastic surgery due to media influence.
Social Media Influence
Social media platforms, like Facebook and Instagram, provide users the chance to show the best versions of themselves publicly. While photo editing apps are available, like Photoshop and FaceTune with built-in filters or features to alter the size and shape of the face, many people still prefer looking like their best selves without the use of such filters.
That’s why social media plays a vital role in the popularity of cosmetic surgery. According to a trusted source, many patients underwent cosmetic surgery to improve their appearance in selfies, as reported in a survey.
Here are the other findings of the report:
- Increased engagement in different social media channels and photo editing apps increased people’s consideration for cosmetic procedures.
- Based on sociocultural theory, people, by nature, learn beauty standards within the context of social and cultural influences.
- Patients and doctors can use the positive benefits of social media, which serve as a great reference to the cosmetic treatments they want to consider. Physicians can use social media applications to publish educational materials about surgical indications of different cosmetic procedures.
Trust in surgical expertise is a crucial factor in the decision-making of undergoing a cosmetic procedure, so patients only want to rely on trusted and experienced cosmetic surgeons. Also, based on the above studies, many people believe that cosmetic surgery can help boost their self-esteem and self-attractiveness.
Social media also has a major influence on the popularity of cosmetic surgery. Of course, because cosmetic procedures are less invasive and more affordable, more people are considering to undergo cosmetic enhancements.