We all have moments when we feel worried and overwhelmed. People handle stressful situations in different ways— from nail biting, to obsessive worrying, to eating entire tubs of ice cream. Fortunately, there is a more productive way to deal with stress. Studies have shown that the Emotional Freedom Technique, also known as tapping, is an efficient method to relieve anxiety. It has also been proven to be effective for weight management and relieving aches and pains.
Tapping is a combination of ancient Chinese acupressure techniques with modern psychology. It counteracts the negative impact of stress by lowering levels of cortisol in the body. Tapping sends a calming signal to the amygdala, which is the part of the brain associated with the body’s fight or flight response.
This stress-busting technique involves tapping your finger on certain acupressure points on the body while repeating some affirmations out loud.
A Simple Tapping Sequence to Deal with Anxiety
- Be aware of the issue that’s causing your anxiety.
- On a scale of 1 to 10, rate how much your anxiety is bothering you at that point in time.
- Have a setup statement in mind such as, “ Despite my anxiety, I love and accept myself.” Repeat this statement out loud three times, while tapping on the outside of your hand. This point is called the karate chop point.
- Say your reminder phrase, “This anxiety” as you go through the rest of your sequence, by tapping on each of these points,
- Top of the Head
- Beginning of the Eyebrow
- Side of the Eye
- Under the Eye
- Under the Nose
- Chin Point
- Beginning of the Collarbone
- Under the Arm
The purpose of the reminder phrase is to keep your system tuned into the issue.
- After performing this sequence once, re-examine your anxiety level and assign it a new number.
- Repeat this sequence thrice to experience a noticeable decrease in your anxiety level.
Benefits Of Tapping
This technique is simple and can be learned in a few minutes without the need for medication or doctor visits. It can be done anywhere since you don’t need to lie down or close your eyes. Tapping can be done anytime you feel anxious or stressed out.
It is a flexible technique that can be customized to suit your needs. It is helpful at treating different anxiety disorders regardless of the underlying causes. The success rate of this technique is high, and results can be experienced immediately.
Tapping gives you control over your mind and has no adverse side effects. It is entirely free of cost, and the technique can be learned by anyone
Tapping is a non invasive healing method based on the concepts of acupuncture and psychology. It is relaxing, costs nothing, works rapidly, and has a high success rate. If done correctly, tapping is the ideal stress relieving technique.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE