Everyone loves a good beauty DIY. They’re easy and affordable since you usually already own half the ingredients, so it’s a win-win. DIY treatments can often be better than store-bought treatments, mostly because they’re made of entirely natural ingredients. Haircare is definitely an area where more often than not, DIYs are better; particularly hair masks.
There are so many natural ingredients that can work miracles on your hair, so it’s probably better for you to try them out rather than dropping hundreds of dollars at Sephora. We’ve gathered 4 DIY hair masks, each catering to a different hair need. Once you try these, you’ll never go back.
Before we get into the hair recipes, let’s take a look at the ingredients we’re going to be using and how they work their magic!
Coconut Oil & Milk
Coconut has always been a multi-purpose fruit. Every one of its components has an amazing beauty purpose; from coconut oil to coconut milk, to simply drinking its water!
When it comes to hair, coconut is amazing at repairing any damage. Most importantly, it’s super nourishing and can hydrate your hair like nothing else. For an easy, quick treatment, you can always just apply coconut oil to your hair and sleep in it, then rinse off in the morning. That’s guaranteed to give your hair a drink of hydration.
A grandma-fave, olive oil isn’t just for the cooking pan – it can be an amazing natural conditioner. This ingredient works wonders at locking in moisture and repairing damaged hair or split ends.
Yogurt helps dull hair by adding shine and radiance to lackluster locks! Make sure it’s soy or non-dairy to keep all of your DIY ingredients vegan and cruelty-free.
For The Oily-Haired Girl
- An overripe banana
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Blend the banana keep going until it is chunk-less. Take your time with this step to make sure you get a smooth creamy texture.
- Add in the coconut and olive oil, and then proceed to really blend them into the banana mixture.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and leave it in for 5-10 minutes. Wash it out and brush through your hair to make sure everything is out, and then go back for one more rinse.
This recipe is filled with amazing ingredients like potassium and vitamins. Most importantly, it has vitamin C, which works to regulate your hair’s oil production.
For The Frizzy-Haired Girl
- ½ cup of soy yogurt
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of almond oil
- Mix the yogurt and olive oil, really whisking them together.
- Then add the tablespoon of almond oil and fold it in.
- Apply to hair and leave this in for 20 minutes before washing it out with your shampoo.
Sticking to using this mask regularly can you leave your hair constantly frizz-free. It’s the almond oil in this recipe that really softens the hair down to help avoid any frizz or fly-aways.
For The Dry-Haired Girl
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup soy yogurt
- Mix the coconut oil into the yogurt; blend well to avoid clumps of yogurt.
- Add in the olive oil, then apply to damp hair.
- Leave it in for 15-20 minutes and then wash it out (you shouldn’t need any shampoo, especially if you have really dry hair).
This recipe clearly combines the three most nourishing and hydrating ingredients. They all work together to give your hair the tall glass of water it needs. The olive oil alone is guaranteed to leave your hair shiny; combined with the nourishment of coconut oil and soothing yogurt, your hair will be looking healthy as ever!
For The Girl Who Just Wants Softer Hair
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 squeeze of lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Grab a bowl and mix the coconut milk and olive oil together.
- Add a squeeze of lemon.
- Combine the ingredients together and massage it into your scalp.
- Leave on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it out.
The coconut oil in this recipe keeps your hair soft. The lemon works perfectly to counteract any chances of this mixture leaving your hair oily, it absorbs the excess oil to leave it soft and smooth!
47,809 total views, 2 views today