Everything is an Energetic Frequency
Everything in the universe is made up of various energetic frequencies. These energetic frequencies make up the matter we see and feel and even those we can’t. Scientists have discovered that matter is various combinations of molecules, atoms and subatomic energy and that these are in motion at all times. For instance, atoms can vibrate in many patterns such as symmetric and asymmetric stretching, scissoring, rocking, wagging and twisting. And the higher the frequency, the faster the vibrations.
In terms of our beloved planet Earth, molecules, atoms and subatomic quanta can be found vibrating their hearts out in trees, bugs, flowers, dogs, cars, humans and of course, colors.
And it doesn’t stop there because every thought, every feeling and every emotion is a frequency of energy with their own vibrational patterns, too! For now, however, let’s focus our attention on colors and how we can use those frequencies to heal our lives.
Colors Affect the Physical and the Mental
Colors are certain wavelengths of electro-magnetic energy seen through our eyes. The colors we see are the part of the visible spectrum of electromagnetic energy (FIG.1) that is reflected back by a certain object. Notice that these are the smallest set of frequencies in the entire spectrum. That means there is a lot going on out there that we can’t see!
Additionally, all wavelengths vibrate at different frequencies. Each of these have various and unique effects on the human body, which is also made up of energetic frequencies. It would make sense, then, that certain colors would affect us in distinct ways. In fact, this is no surprise since we have known for centuries that colors play a major role in our moods, feelings and emotions. Amazingly enough, colors have the power to influence the flow of energy in and around our bodies and affect our overall sense of well-being. This is where colors can be used for healing!
Additionally, as noted in Figure 3 below, the longer the wavelength is (closer to red), the less energy that is being generated. By contrast, the shorter the wavelength is (closer to violet), the more energy that is being generated. This is important information in healing since low vibrational energies are often associated with stuck energy and stuck energy ultimately creates problems for a body that works optimally when it is vibrating at higher frequencies. (Time to get up and go for a run!)
Image Credit: Antonine Education, retrieved from Kerry Clavadetscher.
On a deeper level, colors have a symbolic meaning that is immediately recognized by our subconscious. And, although we get a general idea of how certain colors affect the human body and psyche for healing, it is important to mention that not all colors mean the same thing to everyone on the planet. However, the one thing we all do have in common, though, is the colors of our chakra system.
This is universal.
We all have a Chakra System
This is how cool the universe is: We all have a chakra energy system within us (Figure 3) that mirrors the colors of the rainbow (Figure 4) within the Visible Light spectrum. If you remember the colors of the rainbow, they form the given name ROY G. BIV. These stand for red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. If you match these up with the colors of the chakra system, you can see a perfect harmony popping off the page at you.
Now that we have established an example of the perfect order of the universe, we can move on to see how each of these colors plays a part in our lives. We will briefly note the color associated with and the basic characteristics of each chakra below. Keep in mind that the chakras are numbered 1-7 with 1 as the Root chakra and 7 as the Crown chakra.
1. Root Chakra .¨ RED – Represents our foundation and feeling of being grounded, physical energy, will, and security.
- Location: Base of spine in tailbone area.
- Emotional issues: Survival issues such as financial independence, money and food.
- Deals with: anger, reactions, sexuality, physical activity, desire, intensity of experience and immaturity. Also, passion, vitality and excitement.
2. Sacral/Splenic Chakra .¨ ORANGE – Our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences, creativity, healing, sexuality, reproduction, desire, emotion and intuition.
- Location: Lower abdomen, about 2 inches below the navel and 2 inches in.
- Emotional issues: Sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, sexuality.
- Deals with: productivity, creativity, artistic side, adventure, urge to achieve and succeed, expressions, playfulness, sensuality, scientific, structure, logics, intellectual and detailed-oriented.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra .¨ YELLOW – Our ability to be confident and in-control of our lives, our intellect, ambition, personal power and protection.
- Location: Upper abdomen in the stomach area.
- Emotional issues: Self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem.
- Deals with: curiosity, mental clarity, flexibility, competition and originality.
4. Heart Chakra .¨ GREEN – Our ability to love, have compassion, connect to Universal consciousness, and emotional balance.
- Location: Center of chest just above heart.
- Emotional issues: Love, joy, inner peace.
Deals with: healing, teaching, self-love, self-nurture, endurance, self-esteem, pride, socialism, materialism, organizing, goal-oriented.
5. Throat Chakra .¨ BLUE – Our ability to communicate and our center of expression and divine guidance.
- Location: Throat.
- Emotional issues: Communication, self-expression of feelings, the truth.
- Deals with: communication, love, peace, love, grace, unity and depth of feeling.
6. Third Eye/Brow Chakra .¨ INDIGO – Our ability to focus on and see the big picture, spiritual awareness, light, intuition and psychic power.
- Location: Forehead between the eyes.
- Emotional issues: Intuition, imagination, wisdom, ability to think and make decisions.
Deals with: awareness of the Truth, universal nature, clairvoyance, unlimited knowledge, deeply spiritual, unconditional love, sensitivity, passion and softness.
7. Crown Chakra .¨ VIOLET – The highest Chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually, enlightenment, cosmic consciousness, energy and perfection.
- Location: The very top of the head.
- Emotional issues: Inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality, pure bliss.
- Deals with: metaphysical awareness, expansive prayers, spiritually motivated, spiritual channeling, forgiveness, joy, freedom, goodwill, consciousness and abundance.
Each of these energy centers within our body has the ability to heal us if in balance, but will show up as illness if out of balance. The goal of Color Healing is to uncover the root cause of the pain and or suffering and heal the person at that causal level, bringing true healing and health back where it belongs.
A Word about Healing Anything
An important concept in any healing therapy is that of cause and effect. If we don’t focus our energy on healing the cause or causes of our suffering, whether that is physical, psychological or both, the pain will continue to resurface one way or another. Many of the therapies today, especially drug therapies, focus on symptom management rather than true healing. Within that system, if we stay on the drugs and can deal with the side effects, we will feel better, but we won’t necessarily get better.
That being said, Color Therapy can be used safely and effectively, either alone or alongside any other therapies.
However, no complementary therapy should ever be considered as an alternative to orthodox medical advice. Consider Color Therapy part of your healing toolbox and use accordingly.
Remember that our bodies are outward expressions of what is going on inside. Often, we can match up an imbalance in thoughts with specific illnesses in specific parts of the body. For example, lacking compassion for ourselves and others, holding on to outdated thinking or feeling unworthy of love, all issues of the heart, can be tied to illnesses like stroke, angina and arthritis. We need to heal our minds, hearts and souls and bring back into balance our thoughts, emotions and feelings so they match us on a deeper, truer and higher level. So, how do colors fit into the scheme of healing?
Using Colors to Heal Your Life: It’s all about Balance!
Color healing, also called Chromotherapy or Color Therapy, can be applied in many different ways .¨ how you decorate your home, the colors you wear or the foods you eat – just to name a few. The expertise of the Chromotherapist will be called upon to stabilize the chakras, or energetic colors or frequencies of the body, that are out of balance and, therefore, causing the physical or psychological suffering.
The spectrum of colors act as balancers and the Chromotherapist administers the color or colors someone needs more of or will give the opposite of the color someone has too much of in order to restore balance. This can be a great jump start to any healing therapy regimen as it encourages normal, healthy operation of the body.
In the heart issue example above, a Chromotherapist might suggest that someone with the listed illnesses bring more green plants into the house, wear green more often and eat more green foods since green is the color associated with the heart chakra. They may recommend volunteering, practicing yoga or meditation to calm and free the mind. Bringing the heart chakra back into balance will assist in healing the associated illnesses.
You may hear holistic healers say things like, “eat from the rainbow” meaning to eat as many colors of vegetables and fruits as you can. Take a look at Figure 5 below for an idea of what is meant by this saying.
These foods are healing for many reasons, in addition to their color frequency properties. There are so many resources readily available on the internet and in books for chakra balancing, foods that heal and Color Therapy. You may even decide to seek out a specialist in these areaa for some ideas about healing an illness or a mood that you just can’t seem to shake, but would love to! The wonderful thing is that color is everywhere and we can use the wonderful world of color to assist us with mood, feelings and healing.
Today, start by eating more colorful vegetables and fruits each day. If you ate one more colorful vegetable or fruit for each meal than you did yesterday, you would be on your way to healing. Eat raw vegetables and fruits as much as you can, too. Live foods are full of healing energy.
Be creative and find recipes on the internet and in VIVA GLAM MAGAZINE for scrumptious, healthy, raw foods. You will be surprised at the fun you can have making up new combinations and flavors. Enjoy. And as I always say, we deserve nothing less than optimal health and more love than we ever imagined! Happy balancing!