Many people want to eat food that will make them feel warm and cozy on rainy days. Comfort foods are great choices because they will make you feel comfortable and satisfied at the same time. Fortunately, there are numerous vegan comfort foods you can cook. To give you a better view, here are some of the best vegan recipes for rainy days.
Chili is classic comfort food that will make you feel warm and satisfied while you remember your childhood. Best of all, you can enjoy this dish even if it’s made with plant-based ingredients.
To make vegan chili, you’ll need the following ingredients:
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 can tomato paste (8 oz.)
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (ground)
2 cups vegetable broth
1 can pinto beans (15 oz.)
1 can kidney beans (15 oz.)
Shredded vegan cheddar cheese
Vegan sour cream
Green onions (sliced)
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Afterward, add oil. Then, you can add the onions once the oil is hot. Cook for seven to ten minutes. Then, add the garlic and cook for one or two minutes.
2. The next step is to put the tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, sugar, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt into the pot. Then, cook for about one minute.
3. Afterward, you can add the diced tomatoes, pinto beans, and kidney beans. Then, you can turn the heat up until the chili boils. Then, you can set the heat to low and allow the chili to simmer for about 15 minutes.
4. Once the chili is ready, you can garnish it with green onions, vegan cheese, and vegan sour cream.
Potato Casserole with Celery Soup
The potato casserole with celery soup is a great recipe you can cook on rainy days. It has a distinct flavor, thanks to the combination of casserole and soup. Plus, it is filling and satisfying at the same time.
To make this vegan recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
For the Celery Soup:
2 1/2 cups water
2 medium potatoes
4 celery stick
4 to 6 ounces celeriac (peeled and chopped)
4 ounces mushrooms (diced)
1/2 leek (chopped)
1/2 onion (diced)
1 clove garlic (minced)
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
2 cups non-dairy milk
Salt and pepper
For the Potato Casserole:
2 pounds hash browns (frozen)
10 ounces cream of celery soup
16 ounces vegan sour cream
1 cup vegan cheddar cheese (shredded)
1/2 cup salty crackers (crushed)
1/2 cup vegan butter
Salt and pepper
For the Celery Soup
1. The first step in making the celery soup is to boil the water in a large pot. Then, you can add the celeriac, celery sticks, potatoes, and leek into the large pot. Make sure to set the heat to low, and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Heat a frying pan, then add onions, and sauté for a few minutes. Afterward, add the garlic and mushrooms and sauté for another five minutes.
3. Put the olive oil onto the frying pan and add one tablespoon of flour. Stir, then repeat the step.
4. Afterward, you can pour the celery water into the frying pan and whisk the mixture until it is smooth. Then, you can pour the celery mix and stir.
5. The next step is to slowly add the non-dairy milk. Make sure that you’re stirring while pouring the milk. Keep on stirring until you reach your desired consistency.
6. Afterward, you can add oregano, vegetable bullion powder, salt, and pepper. Then, simmer for about 15 minutes.
7. Finally, you can remove about 1/3 of the celery soup and blend it until smooth.
For the Casserole:
1. To make the potato casserole, you can put the hash brown, vegan sour cream, half butter, celery soup, salt, and pepper in a casserole dish.
2. Afterward, top the mixture with crushed crackers and drizzle the remaining butter on top.
3. Finally, bake for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.