Have you ever thought about what kind of food our bodies really crave in the summer heat? I’ll give you a hint: it certainly isn’t that burger or hot dog that so many people dive into at their backyard barbecues. After a day out enjoying the summer sun, treat your body right with a deliciously refreshing, clean lunch like these amazing summer spring rolls.
Fresh summer produce has to be one of my all-time favorite things. It’s colorful, gorgeous, crisp, and it hydrates your body right in the summer heat.
If you’ve read my book, The 5-Day Real Food Detox, then you’ve heard my advice to count the colors in your food, not the calories. This beautiful summer lunch pretty much hits the rainbow nail right on the head. The vast array of colorful produce will keep you hydrated and fill you up on the nutrients that will have your bikini body thanking you later.
This recipe is fun to make, and to eat, and will keep you full (thank you healthy avocado fats) while still leaving you feeling light enough to tackle the rest of summer play day.
3 rice paper rolls
3 iceberg lettuce leaves
1 large carrot
small chunk of cucumber
¬¨¬∫ red pepper
small bunch of cilantro
- Chop vegetables into thin strips, julienning the avocado and all of the vegetables, except the iceberg lettuce.
- Boil water in a large pan.
- Place one rice paper wrap in the water, pulling it out after a few seconds (it should be soft).
- Be careful to lay it on a flat surface without creating folds. Place one lettuce leaf in center. Put a thin line of carrots (around 5 pieces if sliced thin), 2 slices avocado, cabbage, cucumber and pepper in the center.
- Grab one side and fold over the center, wrapping the veggies underneath. Fold the sides in and keep wrapping. Chop in half and dip in your desired sauce.