Understanding your makeup and skincare can be extremely confusing. Do you want a matte or dewy finish? What does non-comedogenic mean? Unfortunately the same predicament happens for a bb cream? Can you layer BB cream? Does SPF matter? No need to worry! We’re here to explore the best practices of a bb cream including what it is, how to use and some things to consider when picking a formula.
WHAT IS A BB CREAM?
Trying to figure out what exactly a BB cream is? Well the “BB” in bb cream is an abbreviation for beauty balm or blemish balm. BB creams are essentially multi-functional, part primer, mixed with a cream and a foundation.In other words the formula provides 3 in 1 benefits making it perfect for mornings when you’re in rush to get out the door or want that no-makeup makeup look. The bonus is that many formulas are both much lighter then your traditional foundations and often have SPF to protect your skin from sun damage.
WHAT INGREDIENTS TO LOOK FOR IN A BB CREAM?
When looking at a bb cream make sur to look out for organic and natural ingredients. These types of formulas are often produced without toxic chemicals to ensure skin is not only healthy but looks and feels good. Keep an eye out for an organic bb cream that have natural plant extracts like oils (i.e argan,, rosehips) , antioxidents like (i.e Blackbery & Green Tea) as well as vitamins (i.e Vitamin C, E). Most of all a good organic bb crea should be formulated in a way that is earth and animal friendly as well as sustainable.
HOW TO USE A BB CREAM?:
- Go through your normal skincare routine of cleansing,toning and applying essences as well as serums.
- If the weather is super hot and humid or your skin is hydrated enough skip your moisturizer and go straight to applying your bb cream.
- Start light with dotting a dime-size of formula on your face and neck and gently massaging it in. Don’t forget to blend.
- For a natural look follow up with concealer, lip stain, a creamy blush and mascara.
BB CREAM TIPS
- If you sweat a lot consider using a lightweight face powder or setting powder as the last step of your skincare routine in order to maintain an oil-free finish throughout the day (with minimal touchups).
- Most BB Cream formulas are created to provide buildable coverage. In other words feel free to add more layers when applying your bb cream if you want to add more glow or hide some imperfections.
- If you’re looking to add to the dewy effect, use a damp beauty blender when applying to the skin fo a super hydrated finish.
A BB cream makes an excellent addition to your skincare routine when you’re looking for a lightweight finish. It makes sense if you’re in a rush, feeling lazy or are specifically looking for that no-makeup makeup look. As we discussed be on a look out for formulas that have plenty of beneficial ingredients for your skin!