Brian O’Connor is the Creative Director for goodDYEyoung, a hair color brand founded by Paramore’s Hayley Williams.
Purple hair isn’t just for rockstars. It’s for the rockstar in every one of us. The same goes for bright yellow, green, blue, and even rainbow hair. But any glam girl with hefty beauty knowledge knows that the rainbow hair we see on Instagram isn’t easy or cheap to recreate. Luckily, with this brand, it got a whole lot easier and affordable.
goodDYEyoung (GDY) invites you to try their bold, vibrant, show-stopping hair color. Unlike many hair color brands, its product is eco-friendly, infused with natural conditioners, vegan and cruelty-free, and encased in green packaging, too!
Creative Director Brian O’Connor shares his tips with us on how to create the loud and unapologetic hair color that you’ve always wanted to try.
- If you’re deciding between pink and blue, and will do the other color a month later, always go with the lighter color first. It will fade out and you can put the darker color over it. Red, blue and green tend to be harder to get of the hair and harder to cover up.
- Plan on it taking 2-3 hours (especially if doing a double process).
- Be patient! It may take a few weeks to achieve what you really want.
- Remember what you learned in Kindergarten: follow the instructions.
- A timer is your best friend. SET ONE!
- Avoid wearing anything you don’t wanna ruin; it can get messy quick. Designate certain towels for the job. Don’t use the good ones.
- Be careful not to over-process when bleaching.
- Rinse your hair out really, really well.
- Never use conditioner before applying color to pre-lightened hair. GDY has conditioning ingredients in the formula; it is your conditioner.
- If you’re bold color curious, but not committed, try a clip-in color extension first.
You can purchase hair color by goodDYEyoung here!