A pair of denim jeans is one of the essentials that most women have in their wardrobe. And for good reason! But as any woman who has ever gone jean-shopping will tell you, shopping for jeans is not always easy. There are so many factors to consider- color, fit, style, embellishments etc…
Even though most of us have a pretty basic knowledge of our jeans, here are a few things to keep in mind that most people either don’t know or forget about:
- Dark and tighter jeans are more suitable for formal occasions whereas light and loose ones are better for chilling out with your friends or having pizza.
- Darker colors make the legs look more elongated and slimmer. On the other hand, lighter colors add more width. Depending on your body type, you can choose the colors you think will make you look better. (You might want to avoid ones with coinciding shades).
- Many times when we wear jeans, we may see muffin top. Don’t worry, there’s nothing wrong with you; the jeans just don’t fit you that well. Muffin top could be the result of jeans that are too low or too small for you.
- Generally speaking, low rise and skinny jeans look better on women with ovaluar, square and inverted-triangle body types as they highlight their curves (skinny, bootcut). But if you’re square-, hourglass-, or pear-shaped, you might want to consider a high-rise jean, which has a more loose fit (mom, boyfriend).
- Before buying jeans, always check if there is any space between the end of the jean zipper and the crotch stitch. If there is, then you can be sure that it’s a crotch crease or a camel toe in the making! Or sometimes it might press too hard, making it uncomfortable to sit. While many women have struggled with camel toe and wondered what to do about it, you can avoid it all together by only purchasing jeans with a longer zipper that don’t leave any space and go down to the stitch. Vintage jeans are a good example!
- The back pockets matter! And not just for stuffing your phone or wallet. Bigger- and wider-spaced back pockets make your bum look smaller. Back pockets which have a space of more than 6 inches will ruin your look by making your derriere seem soggy; it’s the same for those jeans with back pockets that are too close to the butt crease. The best jeans are the ones with small back pockets close to each other (but far from the butt crease), as they’ll help you look your best.
- Never put your jeans in the dryer! Instead, hang them out to dry 48 hours before you plan to wear them. This will prevent any sagging and make your legs look amazing when you wear them next!
- Fun fact: If you button a pair of jeans and wrap them around your neck, then you’ll know how well they fit you! Try this the next time you’re in a hurry and don’t have enough time or a changing room to try them on.
- Ripped jeans are terrible for the environment. So, I encourage you to avoid buying them. Also make sure to buy your jeans from brands committed to ethical and sustainable fashion
- While making sure your jeans are clean, fit well, and are without creases, here’s a bonus tip for you to look even more put together: See if the metals match. There are so many pairs of jeans in which the zipper is golden and the buttons are silver or vice versa. While this may seem like a very small thing, it makes a difference, especially when you want to look classy and put together.
Keep these tips in mind and apply them the next time you’re buying or trying out jeans and it won’t be long before you find your favorite pair that make you look like a supermodel!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: