T-shirts are a classic clothing staple that has a presence in anyone’s wardrobe, and their massive popularity is due to how versatile it is in terms of styling. However, if you don’t see yourself much as a stylish person, you might find t-shirts cliché and boring.
Fortunately, you can change this mindset if you have the right knowledge to make a basic tee more fashionable. This way, you elevate your look without having to purchase new clothes for new looks.
On that note, here are a few ideas on how to make your t-shirt game on point.
Donning a black t-shirt all the time can translate to many things. Yes, you can get away with it if you’re as rich and influential as tech moguls Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg. But a simple guy or gal can look washed out with a plain black tee. Why not customize your shirt to add some oomph and pizzazz?
You can customize your shirt in many ways to make it look more exciting and unique. When you do this, you’ll never get nervous bumping into another person with identical garb. And if you create your own customized shirt, you’ll be proud to show off her creation to others. But if you’re not artistic, you can have unique on demand custom t-shirts ordered online.
Here are a few ways you can customize a shirt:
- Adding patches
- Stitching some embroidery
- Cutting off the sleeves or the neckline
- Adding beads or chains
- Painting or dyeing it
- Bleaching it
- Printing it with your favorite quote or character
Layering adds depth and texture to your outfit. There’s also that sense of mystery with it. People will wonder what’s under your jacket or cardigan, which can make your OOTD (Outfit of the Day) interesting to many. It can also be beneficial if you quickly get cold.
If you are layering clothes, you can quickly transform your look from day to evening or office to night out. You don’t need to pack a change of clothes, as it’s already on your back.
Here are a few helpful suggestions for layering clothes:
- Pair a black blazer with a bold-colored tee for a sophisticated look
- Layer a chunky knit cardigan over a tank top or a cropped top
- Match an edgy denim jacket with a plain white or colored tee
- Sport a leather jacket with a printed white tee
- Layer a vest on your long-sleeved tee
To achieve a more form-fitting silhouette, give your tee a knot. This pairs well with high-waisted pants or a billowy skirt. This can work perfectly with plain shirts or even those with minimal designs. Here are some ways to do this:
- Front knot – This is among the basic ways to knot your shirt. To do this, take the bottom and tie it into a knot. Adjust the knot to make it tighter or looser according to your liking.
- Side knot – This is a fun and playful way to highlight the features of your attire. To do this, you can form the knot on which side you prefer to enhance.
- Back knot – This is an unexpected way to knot your tee, creating an interesting draped effect on the front. As its name suggests, you can tie a knot in the back of your shirt.
- Double knot – This is a unique take on tying a knot on your shirt. You can achieve this by tying a knot at the center, then tie another knot at the top, creating a layered effect that adds dimension and interest to your outfit.
- Braided knot – If you want to cut your shirt to make it more unique and stylish, do this. You can have the braid on the sides, back, or front. All you need to do is make some cuts on the shirt in even spaces. This works best with stretchy tees. You can make twists on the cuts starting from the second cut, then proceed to twist them until you reach the very bottom. There are more detailed videos online to help you achieve this look.
Knotting is a fun, creative, and fashionable way to add flare to your tee.
A basic tee, for some people, may look too casual, but tucking it in can make you look polished and glamorous. Moreover, it will also make you look put-together and professional. There are many ways to tuck your shirt, but since we’re on the topic of making your look fashionable. It’s best to use the French tuck.
The French tuck has many variations. It was created by fashion guru Tan France. It’s simply tucking the front of your shirt and leaving the back untucked. You may grab the excess fabrics on the side and tuck them lightly to keep your shirt in place.
Since it became popular, other ways to do the French tuck emerged online. You may also apply it on different pieces of clothing like sweaters and polos.
Any basic clothing can be enhanced by accessorizing it. This principle also applies to wearing a basic tee. A chunky necklace or bold earrings can take your shirt to the next level. You may also add a scarf, a belt, or a hat to express your personal style.
Pair It With Statement Pieces
You can elevate a basic tee by creating contrast in your overall look. To do this, why not pair your shirt with something striking? Pair it with a colorful blazer, bold shoes, a patterned skirt, or a majorly distressed pair of jeans.
Say whatever you want to say with your basic tee. But there is no denying that t-shirts are the most versatile piece of clothing in your wardrobe today. The possibilities are endless, especially with imagination and creativity. The tips mentioned in this post are just a few fashionable ways to make you look outstanding in a t-shirt. So, take your pick and strut your style today.