Start off your week with this ingenious vegetable twist on a crowd favorite snack! Find this and many other wonderful recipes in Diane Sanfilippo’s New York Times’s Bestselling book Practical Paleo!
Creamy Cauliflower Hummus
This twist on the traditional Mediterranean favorite tastes almost exactly the same as the chickpea (garbanzo bean) variety.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: –
YIELD: About 2 cups
4 cups cauliflower florets, steamed
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste), raw or roasted
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon (reserve zest for garnish)
Pinch of ground cumin
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Pinch of paprika, for garnish (optional)
Sliced vegetables of choice, for serving
Olives of choice, for serving
In a food processor, combine the cauliflower, 1/4 cup of the olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, and cumin and process until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste, along with more tahini or olive oil if you like.
Scoop the hummus into a serving dish and garnish with the reserved lemon zest, remaining tablespoon of olive oil, and paprika (if using).
Serve with sliced vegetables and olives.
TIP: To get the rich orange color like the dip in the photo, use an orange cauliflower instead of a traditional white cauliflower.
CHANGE IT UP: Substitute zucchini for the cauliflower, but shred and strain it first to remove most of its water content.
Nutritional Data (per serving)
Total Fat: 17g
Total Carbohydrate: 8g
About Diane Sanfilippo
Diane Sanfilippo is the owner and founder of Balanced Bites, a certified Nutrition Consultant and New York Times bestselling author of Practical Paleo, The 21-Day Sugar Detox, and co-author of Mediterranean Paleo Cooking. Diane holds a B.S. from Syracuse University and is certified in holistic nutrition from Bauman College, holistic lifestyle coaching from the CHEK Institute, and Poliquin BioSignature Modulation. You can catch Diane weekly on her top-ranked health show on iTunes, The Balanced Bites Podcast.
About Practical Paleo
Author Diane Sanfilippo’s debut book Practical Paleo spent 97 weeks on The New York Times best-sellers list and redefined how people think about food and health. Now, the nutrition consultant is releasing an updated and expanded version to her runaway hit, alongside a 12-city book tour, launching September 6th. Practical Paleo explains how eating real, whole foods, while avoiding processed foods, can lead to lasting weight loss and an improvement in overall health. Making Paleo eating more accessible and easier than ever, readers can enjoy exciting additions including…
- New chapters, including “Getting Started with Paleo,” which provides a step by step guide on how to begin eating the Paleo way, and “Living the Paleo Lifestyle,” which offers tips for navigating holidays, parties, and getting kids involved in the kitchen.
- 40 all new, delicious and easy-to-make recipes, in addition to refined original recipes.
- Three new meal plans that provide guidance for addressing common health concerns: Adrenal Health (Stress Management), Healthy Hormones, and Liver Detox Support.
- Re-organized content to make Practical Paleo even more user-friendly.
- New food photography that gives the book a refreshed look.
- Hot topics like gluten, leaky gut and the effects of stress on the body.