You may have heard of the benefits of incorporating Epsom salts into your lifestyle, but what is it that they actually do?
We’ve got the rundown of all things Epsom salt, and how you can start using them too.
What are they?
If you’ve never heard of the humble Epsom salt, get ready for your mind to be blown.
Known scientifically as hydrated magnesium sulfate, Epsom salts contain high amounts of both these minerals as the name suggests. But why does this matter?
It has been found that our magnesium levels have dropped by half in the last 100 years due to developments in our agriculture and diet, which leaves many people in danger of having a magnesium deficiency. This can create issues such as weakness, muscle cramps, tremors, dizziness, a bad memory and even poor heart health! A lack of magnesium can also lead to the calcium in our body not being able to do what it is supposed to, as calcium works best when there is enough magnesium present.
Therefore, as magnesium is not absorbed very well through the digestive tract, we have to look to other options. Fortunately enough, studies have found that having an Epsom salt enriched bath does actually result in higher magnesium levels!
What do they do?
So what other benefits do Epsom salts provide? Here are some benefits as listed by the Epsom Salt Industry Council:
- Improved heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure
- Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes
- Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances
- Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood
- Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of wellbeing and relaxation
- Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps
- Improved oxygen use
- Improved absorption of nutrients
- Improved formation of joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins
- Prevention or easing of migraine headaches
How expensive are they?
With all these amazing added benefits, the real question is how much will it cost to get your hands on these life-changing minerals?
On average, Epsom salts retail for around $8 for a kilo, but this price can definitely vary depending on where you are buying them from.
Where can I find them?
Epsom salts can be found in your local drugstore, but for more Epsom salt products, the best place to find a large variation would be to look online. There are many products out there that contain Epsom salts such as creams and lotions, which all have their own benefits that are fun to try out. By looking online, you increase the types of products and brands you can find, therefore making it easier to find the perfect product for you!
How can I use them?
There are many things you can do with the Epsom salts themselves to target specific issues you may be having, and create a personalized treatment for these problems. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Epsom Salt Bath – the classic, an Epsom salt bath is perfect for relieving any minor aches and pains you may be feeling, or to just up the relaxation in your life. Simply pour a cup of the salts into a warm bath and allow them to dissolve before slipping into the water; this at home spa treatment will work wonders for your mind, body and soul
- Compress – for a more targeted approach, create a compress by soaking a cotton washcloth in cold water that has been mixed with Epsom salts (generally 2 tablespoons of salts per cup of water). If you’re wanting to further this natural remedy, add a couple drops of your favourite essential oils to the water to maximize the effects
- Create a Paste – applying an Epsom salt paste to the skin can have wonderful benefits to any specific areas of discomfort you may be having. Begin by adding a teaspoon of Epsom salt to a cup of hot water, and stirring until it completely dissolves. Once the salts have disappeared, chill the solution in the fridge for approximately 20 minutes, then apply to the cleaned and dried areas of skin in question
These at home remedies are sure to make you feel like a new person, and Epsom salts are the natural and relaxing way to do it!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
54,783 total views, 28 views today