By 30/10/2012 12:53:00
Happy Halloween! Below are some fun facts about the pumpkin. Have a safe and fun Halloween!
- Although many people believe the pumpkin is a vegetable, it is actually a fruit
- Carving pumpkins into jack-o-lanterns originated in Ireland hundreds of years ago
- Pumpkins were not the first jack-o-lanterns, turnips and potatoes were
- Pumpkin Seeds can be roasted as a snack
- Pumpkin flowers are edible
- Pumpkins are 90 percent water
- Native Americans dried strips of pumpkins and weaved them to make mats
- Pumpkins contain potassium and vitamin A
- Leonardo Urena, from Napa, California, grew the winner of the 2011 Weigh-Off with a 1,704-pound Atlantic Giant, setting a new California State record.
- Pumpkin chucking is a competitive activity where teams build devices designed to throw pumpkins as far as possible
Stay tuned for amazing fantastic pumpkin recipes!